Community members are rallying around a Henrietta family whose belongings burned in a house fire Saturday night. The home of Chris and Brandy Thames is a total loss.
A space heater is suspected to have caused the fire, reported at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 23. The Henrietta Volunteer Fire Department arrived on scene to find the interior of the structure fully engulfed in flames, though the exterior walls still stood, said HVFD Chief Mike Roberts.
With temperatures dipping below freezing, fire fighters battled the blaze for several hours, concentrating on protecting nearby structures, and remained on site until after 3 a.m. Sunday.
With The City of Henrietta in stage 4 water restrictions, what remained of the house was left to smolder. “At that point, we were just wasting water,” said Roberts. There was nothing left to save. Members of the HVFD have checked on the ruins in the days since to make sure that no flare-ups or hot embers threatened neighboring homes.
Brandy Thames and three children were home at the time of the fire, while Chris Thames, employed in the oil field, was working in Oklahoma. All three children attend Henrietta Schools. Colton is a sixth grader at Henrietta Junior High. Makayla is in Kindergarten and Chloe is in the fourth grade at Henrietta Elementary.
No one was injured in the blaze.
Red Cross provided the family with a three-night stay at the Henrietta Best Western Inn and Suites, and a voucher for clothing, but more is needed.
Makayla wears a size 6 in children’s clothing and children’s size 13 shoes. Cloe wears children’s size’s 8-12, depending on the item, and size 3 shoes. Colton wears children’s size 14-16 or an adult small in clothing and size 8 shoes.
Brandy Thames wears women’s size 16-18 clothing and size 6 or 6 ½ shoes. Chris Thames wears adult extra-large shirts and size 32-32 jeans, and size 13 shoes.
Donations of clothing and other necessities can be dropped off at Henrietta Elementary School and Henrietta Junior High. Pick up of donated items can be arranged by calling Anna Bolin at (940) 781-9350.