A Bellevue family lost all of their belongings late Friday night when their home burned in what appears to have been an electrical fire.
Dana and John Roundtree, and Dana’s son, Todd Terry were at home in the 800 block of Fifth Street when the July 13 blaze broke out, escaping the burning home with only the clothes they were wearing.
The Roundtrees had only been married one full day when the fire broke out, taking their vows Thursday, July 12.
The fire is believed to have started at an outdoor light near a back corner of the house, and moved to the roof. The fire quickly spread to the attic. It was reported at about 11:45 p.m.
When the first volunteer fire department unit arrived, the northeast corner of the home was engulfed. By the time other units arrived, the house was fully involved.
The roof collapsed not long after. The house is a total loss.
Fire fighters concentrated on keeping the fire contained and preventing it from spreading to a neighboring home.
By 1:45 p.m., fire fighters were mopping up. Fire fighters were on scene until almost 4 a.m., the last truck leaving at 3:49 a.m. Saturday.
Bellevue, Vashti, Henrietta and Bowie Rural VFDs responded to the blaze.
The family will stay at the home of Dana Roundtree’s daughter and son-in-law, Brandy and Mitch Ford.
Assistance from Red Cross has been requested.
Donations of clothing and household items for the family can be sent to the home of Brandy and Mitch Ford at 230 Hilltop Road, Bellevue, 76228; or dropped off at the Bellevue Fire hall, 509 Franklin St., Bellevue. Donations are also being accepted at Waggoner’s Boots, 203 E. Omega, Henrietta.
John Roundtree wears extra large shirts, size 16 shoes, and 36-by-36 inch pants. Dana Roundtree wears large shirts, size 10 shoes and women’s size 12 in pants. Todd Terry wears extra-extra large shirts, a size 14 shoe and 40-by-36 pants.