A Monday afternoon grass fire threatened two houses and blackened an estimated 200 acres northeast of Byers. Approximately 100-125 round bales of hay were lost to the fire.
Trucks from the Byers and Henrietta Volunteer Fire Departments were dispatched to what was reported as a structure fire on Benvanue Road at about 3:30 p.m. When Byers VFD arrived to find several hay bales burning and a vacant house threatened.
The fire was started by a hay baler in a wheat field owned by Bill Harding and leased by Robert Clements near the intersection of Benvanue Road and FM 171.
The fast moving blaze was contained to two large fields of wheat stubble. Fire fighters kept the blaze from jumping to the west side of Benvanue Road in two places; one place was located directly across from the Harding residence.
Approximately 75-100 burned on the Harding property, and another estimated 100 acres burned on a neighboring property to the north.
Fire units from Jolly, Petrolia, Charlie-Thornberry, Dean Dale and Ringgold also responded, while two county maintainers from Precinct 1 and a privately owner tractor and plow cut fire guards.
Except for smoldering round bales, the fire was extinguished by 5:30 p.m.