With several highly contested local races, and this being a presidential election year, officials are expecting a heavy turnout in today’s party primary elections. Polls ware open from 7 a.m.-7 p.m.
More than 550 ballots were cast in early voting, mostly in the Republican Primary.
Five candidates, three Republican and two Democrats, seek the office of sheriff, held by incumbent Kenny Lemons of Dean. Other candidates are Republicans Harvey Freeman of Dean and Randy Hanson of Vashti. Democrats seeking the office are Bruce Specht of Vashti and Dee Litteken of Scotland.
Maribel Longoria and Dean Kyle, both of Henrietta, are running for the Republican candidacy for the office of tax assessor-collector for Clay County. The winner will face Democrat Bobbie Gilmore of Bluegrove. Tax Assessor-Collector Linda Sellers will retire at the end of her term.
A new 97th District Attorney will be decided in the Republican Primary. John Swenson of Petrolia is running against Paige Wiliams of Nocona and Ron Walker of Montague.
The office of 97th District Judge also will be decided in the Republican Primary. Jack McGaughey, currently serving as district attorney, faces Brandon Earp. McGaughey is from Nocona and Earp is from Bowie.
For the first time ever, the Republican Party will have all 16 voting locations open, Polling places for both Republican and Democratic Primaries are listed below:
- Precinct 1 – Clay County Senior Citizens Center, 216 N. Hancock, Henrietta
- Precinct 6 – Byers Community Center, 610 Main St., Byers
- Precinct 8 – Henrietta ISD Administration Building, 1801 E. Crafton St., Henrietta
- Precinct 9 – Henrietta Church of Christ, 101 S. Burnett St., Henrietta
- Precinct 10 – Vashti Community Center, 6097 FM 1288 S., Vashti
- Precinct 11 – Dean City Hall, 6913 St. Hwy. 79 N., Dean
- Precinct 12 – First Baptist Church of Jolly, 321 Mowery St., Jolly
- Precinct 13 – Thornberry Community Center, 14318 FM 171 W., Thornberry
- Precinct 14 – Charlie Community Center, 136 Sudan St., Charlie
- Precinct 15 – First Baptist Church of Henrietta, 208 S. Graham St., Henrietta
- Precinct 17 – Christ Community Fellowship Church, 1143 Nakomis Tr., Arrowhead Ranch Estates
- Precinct 20 – Midway School, 12142 St. Hwy. 148 S., Midway
- Precinct 24 – Bellevue City Hall, 136 Fourth St., Bellevue
- Precinct 26 – Buffalo Springs Community Center, 6302 FM 174 E., Buffalo Springs
- Precinct 27 – Petrolia Volunteer Fire Dept., 124 S. Central Ave., Petrolia
- Precinct 32 – Ralph Veitenheimer Residence, 3100 Veitenheimer Rd, Windthorst.