Edwards Public Library of Clay County has announced its Texas Summer Reading Club “Get a Clue…at the Library!” schedule.
The program provides opportunities for children of all ages to enjoy reading. It begins on May 29 at Edwards Public Library.
“More than 200 children read for over 1200 hours last summer,” said Library Director Norma Jean Ruiz-Hearne. “This year we anticipate that the children of Bluebonnet will break that record and read for at least twice as many hours.” Local school officials applauded the public library for its efforts to help local school children maintain and improve their reading skills.
Information about the Texas Reading Club is available by calling (940) 538-4791 and on the Library’s web site, www.edwardspl.org. Programs will run through July 6. The Edwards Public Library is open Monday-Wednesday, and Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and on Thursday from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Wednesday story time begins at 10 a.m. unless otherwise noted, and will last 30 minutes or more. Events marked with an asterisk will be held at the Holman Center, 211 N. Clay St., in Henrietta.
Funding for the Edwards Public Library 2012 Summer Reading Program was made possible with funds raised during the 3rd Annual Lyndon Laseman Fun Run/Walk.
Details for each event will be publisher on The Clay County Pioneer Sentinel community calendar as they are received. The schedule is as follows:
- May 29 – Sign up begins for all readers.
- May 30 – Sandy Shrout Presents: Goldyrocks and the 3 Dinosaurs*
- June 6 – Arts and Craft Day: Make and Take*
- June 13 – Gerald Edmunson: Reading is Magic*
- June 20 – Wildlife on the Move: The Unhuggables: “Animal program” Showtime at 10:30 a.m.*
- June 27 – Valerie Oliver: Whirled on a string (Yo-Yo’s)*
- July 4 – Closed for 4th of July.
- July 6 – Last day to login books by 5 p.m. (No exceptions).
- July 11 -Certificate Presentation: Presented by a Clay County Official and Kelly Bloodworth, Henrietta City Administrator.*
For more information call the Edwards Public Library (940) 538-4791.
Reading Club Rules
- Sign up for the Texas Summer Reading Club (TSRC). Fill out reading logs, read books and keep track of reading time.
- Read one hour, receive: Summer Reading Club Bag and a Free Ice Cream cone from the Dairy Queen (At Certificate Party)
- Read three hours by July 6, 2012, receive: a TSRC Certificate and a prize.
- Read six hours, receive: a small SONIC slush of your choice.
- Read 10 hours, receive: prize from prize box.
- Reading logs will remain in the Library.
- All reading times must be logged in by July 6 at 5 p.m., no exceptions.