A Henrietta woman and three family members are without a home tonight after a late afternoon structure fire southeast of town.
Joyce Walls was inside her home at 2383 New London Road when the fire broke out. Grandson Talon Walls, who lives with Joyce Walls, came home to find the kitchen stove in flames. Talon Walls said he located his grandmother in another room and told her about the fire, he then called 911 and ran upstairs to remove some of her items.
The fire was reported at about 4:53 p.m. When fire fighters arrived, the house was fully engulfed. By 6 p.m., the house had burned to the ground.
“When I turned onto New London Road, I could see the second story was burning. When I topped the hill, the second story had already collapsed,” said Henrietta Fire Chief Mike Roberts.
Greg Brooks, a neighbor, was putting out hay when he noticed the fire. Brooks said he drove to the house, arriving at about the same time as Henrietta Volunteer Fire Fighter Michael Koetter. Koetter was in his personal vehicle, and moved a vehicle out of the driveway.
The fire had spread to an outbuilding used to store gas cans and a propane tank, as well as saddles and tack. Fire fighters were able to extinguish the building, and much of the tack and saddles were saved.
Talon Walls said his aunt and a cousin also lived at the residence.
Units from Henrietta and Bellevue VFD responded, while Jolly sent a tanker to the fire. The house is a total loss.